Monday, July 23, 2007

3Sports Sprint

I did this race more like a workout than anything too serious, just to get some speed in. Obviously I wanted to do well, but I know the bigger picture lies in performing well in IM Louisville and at Worlds in October.
The race was a 300m pool swim, 20k bike, and 5k run. I was starting 8th, and I knew the guy starting behind me in 9th was a faster swimmer than me, so I was a little nervous to get out well for the first 100-150m. As it turned out, I got out very well and caught the guy ahead of me after 75 m. Then the guy behind me caught me right before 125 m, and the initial guy I passed was still relatively close. Other than that, the swim was smooth and fast(well for me at least). I got out at 4:41, which was 1 second faster than I've ever swam 300m, so I was pumped about that. I rolled to T1, hopped on my bike, had a decent time getting my shoes on. Once I was set, I started rolling. My goal was to ride avg 26.4-26.5 mph, as I had done the same course in wet conditions 2 months earlier avg 26.1mph. So I was really pushing it, and I caught everyone besides one person who had started in front of me. I knew the guy ahead was a decent cyclist, but I still figured that I would be able to see him on some of the long stretches of road on the course. However, he had a great ride (and fantastic swim to set it up) and I didn't see him on the road until the last half mile of the ride. I ended up coming in at 28:27, avg 26.05mph, which is ok, but I was still disappointed with that. The run was a very similar story, as I felt good, but just lacked a little of the sharpness I had back in June. I ended up running 16:08 for the win in 51:05. Second was 53:03, third 53:38, so it was an easy win for me, but I still thin I'm in shape to go close to 50:00 (hopefully slightly under!) perhaps next June.

Now it's time to put in a couple more big weeks before my taper begins for IM Louisville.

No comments: